On 24 February 2022, Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in clear contravention of the UN Charter.
In the year since the invasion more than 7,000 civilians have been killed in Ukraine, with 12,000 injured and nearly 6 million internally displaced according to the UN. A UN Independent International Commission has found that war crimes, human rights violations and violations of international humanitarian law have been committed in Ukraine.
When the invasion began, UNA-UK wrote to all of our supporters to encourage donations directly to the emergency Ukraine appeals set up by the UN Refugee Agency or the UN OCHA to provide much needed support to those in need. With more than 18 million people now in need of humanitarian assistance in Ukraine, the UN has launched a new appeal for $5.6 billion to help those affected by the conflict. You can support this through the links below:
UNA-UK also advocated for the UK government to do more to support those fleeing the violence and seeking sanctuary, by immediately creating visa-free pathways for Ukrainians seeking protection.
UNA-UK's latest resources on Ukraine
- Read UNA-UK on the UN General Assembly vote for peace on the anniversary of Russia's invasion
- Read about the safeguarding of civil nuclear facilities in Ukraine
- Read UNA-UK’s statement on the Black Sea Grain initiative facilitated by the UN
- Read Dame Barbara Woodward, UK Permanent Representative to the UN’s briefing to the UN APPG
- Read UNA-UK on the outcomes of the Human Rights Council Urgent Debate on Ukraine here
- Read UNA-UK on the outcomes of the UN General Assembly Emergency Special Session here
- See UNA-UK's latest briefing: Emergency Special Session of the General Assembly on the Russian invasion of Ukraine
- UNA-UK Joins International Summit of United Nations Associations on the situation in Ukraine - read the joint statement
- Click here to read UNA-UK's statement on Ukraine
- See a summary of the UN APPG on protecting Ukraine’s cultural heritage here
Photo: An anti-war protest rally for Ukraine held outside the UN Headquarters. Credit: UN Photo/Loey Felipe