The UK must use all tools available to halt the humanitarian catastrophe unfolding in Gaza.
According to UNOCHA, more than 11,000 people in Gaza have been killed since 7 October. There is an urgent need for humanitarian access to all parts of Gaza, an end to forced displacement of civilians, and a rapid, large and sustained scale-up of humanitarian assistance.
We are asking our supporters to write to their MP, asking them to call on the government and Foreign Secretary to:
- Take action to halt the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza
- Call for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire
We have created a template letter with some suggested points, and share resources and tips for contacting your MP below:
Tips on writing to your MP
- Find out who your MP is by typing your postcode in at www.theyworkforyou.com
- Find their contact details MPs at members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP
- Browse their personal website to find their email address for letters and surgery meetings for constituents. Send your letter to both email addresses.
- Get personal. Write a letter/email to your MP in your own words as this shows the strength of feeling you have about the issue. Please consider incorporating the key asks mentioned above - these practical action points will help your MP to take the issue forward with the Government.
- Ask your MP to take action on your behalf in these ways:
(1) Requesting a meeting with the Foreign Secretary, either alone or jointly with other politicians and international NGOs
(2) Writing a letter to the Foreign Secretary
(3) Raising your concerns as oral and written questions in parliament.
- Don't forget to introduce yourself and include your full name and postal address in your correspondence.
- MPs get hundreds of emails so it is very important to phone both the constituency and parliamentary offices and ask that they draw your email to the MPs attention. Try to build up a good relationship with the MP's secretary and keep in regular contact.
- Ask your MP to keep in regular contact and to give you copies of any responses they receive.
- Once you've sent your letter/email, please share this webpage with your networks
- Please forward any replies you receive to firstname.lastname@example.org
- UNA-UK statement on the devastating violence in Gaza and Israel
- Open call for a #CeasefireNOW: UNA-UK has joined more than 600 organisations from 50 countries, calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and Israel to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe and further loss of innocent lives.
- INEW open letter to States that endorsed the Political Declaration on Strengthening the Protection of Civilians Arising from the Use of Explosive Weapons in Populated Areas: The INEW network (of which UNA-UK is a member) has raised concern over the extensive and ongoing bombardment in the Gaza Strip, as well as the indiscriminate rocket attacks launched against population centres in Israel. We urge the 83 endorser states - including the UK - to take urgent action to address civilian harm.
- Statement in support of the UN Secretary-General: A group of British former senior UN officials have released a statement in support of the UN Secretary-General and his role in addressing the situation in the Middle East.
- Donate to the Emergency Appeal set up by UNRWA, the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East
- Read the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ appeal for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire at the UN Security Council
- See former UN emergency relief coordinator Mark Lowcock’s call for a large-scale humanitarian operation to save lives in Gaza
- Read the statement from Martin Griffiths, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, following his two-day visit to Israel and the oPt