The UNA-UK Board is currently inviting enthusiastic and outgoing UNA-UK members to apply to be candidates in the forthcoming national UNA ballot for two Elected Trustees. This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the governance of UNA-UK, and in the achievement of its vision for a strong, credible and effective UN, as well as its ambition to become a model for 21st Century grassroots engagement. Our current Elected Trustees are Viv Williams and Carl Wright.
The roles would suit all members who have some familiarity with the work of local UNAs, can empathise with local activists and are passionate about grassroots engagement. The Elected Trustees will have a crucial and exciting role in engaging with UNA-UK’s network of local UNAs, which includes community- and university-based groups – serving as their representatives on the Board, providing advice and assistance as required, supporting the health and growth of this network, and ensuring that there is two-way communication between the network and the Board.
Like all Trustees, they will also be responsible for ensuring that UNA-UK operates within its charitable remit and that it is well-managed with sufficient resources to deliver its objectives.
Specific tasks will include:
- Supporting the delivery of UNA-UK’s strategic plan objectives on grassroots engagement
- Serving as the Board focal point for local UNAs
- Pro-active and regular communications with local UNAs in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales
- Reporting on the network at Board meetings and to the network on Board developments
- Providing advice and practical support to local UNAs when needed, including:
- Supporting collaborative initiatives between local UNAs
- Providing guidance on how local UNAs can further UN and UNA-UK aims
- Working with the UNA-UK staff to ensure that all local groups meet UNA-UK’s Basis of Recognition
Working with the UNA-UK staff to support visits to local UNAs by Trustees and staff, ensuring that they collectively cover the UK-wide network
To be eligible to stand for election, candidates must:
- Be fit to serve as a charity trustee and company director
- Be able to serve a three-year term of office
- Abide by UNA-UK's Articles, Rules and election guidelines for candidates
- Be resident in the UK
- Be able to attend Board meetings four times a year, either in person or via Skype/phone
- Be able and willing to undertake occasional travel to different parts of the UK, with pre-agreed travel and accommodation expenses to be covered
- Have been a member of UNA-UK for a period of at least six months before 3 October 2019.
- Have an email account and access to the internet
The Elected Trustees will be supported by UNA-UK staff. Financial assistance will be provied for any pre-agreed travel and accommodation that may arise in connection with this role.
- Please read carefully the Elected Trustees Information Pack, especially the election guidelines for candidates
- Complete the Application Form
- Return the form to UNA-UK's Company Secretary, Angie Pankhania, on email@example.com or by post to 3 Whitehall Court, London SW1A 2EL by 5pm on Friday 15 November 2019.
Applications will be accepted if the form is completely correctly, received by the deadline specified above, and the eligibility criteria is met. UNA-UK will inform you that your candidacy has been accepted no later than 4 December 2019.
Voting will be conducted through a postal and online ballot of UNA-UK members commencing during the week beginning 9 December 2019 and ending at 5pm on 7 February 2020. The two successful candidates will be formally appointed to the Board at its meeting on 11 March 2020, which they will be invited to attend as observers. They will then attend the meeting on 17 June 2020 as full members of the Board.